Oakley I Grips

No comments
The Oakley I grips were originally designed for motocross and supercross. In his garage lab, a mad scientist named Jim Jannard developed a new kind of grip with a unique tread for a secure grasp, plus geometry that fit the rider's closed hand. He utilized a new material called "Unobtainium®" that was engineered to become sticky when wet.

The Oakley I grip's came in 2 versions. The first generation had the original Oakley logo that used a knobby tire for the letter "O". These were manufactured from 1975 to 1977. From 1977 onwards, the second generation grips had the newer thermonuclear protection logo.

The Oakley I Grips came packaged in a cardboard box and were available in black, yellow, red and blue.

Timeline

  • The Flyin' Okie - Jeff Ruminer Interview - BMX Action
    Jeff Ruminer confirms that he uses Oakley 1 grips in his interview in BMX Action.
    October 1978
  • C.D.I. Distributors
    C.D.I. Distributors reference the Oakley 1 grips as part of their catalogue.
    May 1979
  • The Oakley Grip - Oakley II
    Oakley's advertisement in BMX Action features their full product range including the Oakley I grips.
    July 1979

Oakely I First Generation Images

Oakley I Second Generation Images

References

No comments :

Post a Comment